This post is intended to be a single point of reference for council rules and regulations around the installation of antennas and masts.
Information contained within this post is subject to change, and WACAN strongly recommends that each member make appropriate enquiries with their local council when preparing for an antenna or mast installation.
City of Bayswater
Building work where a building permit is not required:
Masts, Antenna or similar structures where attached to a building providing that:
- The mast or antenna is no more than 2 meters above the point of attachment to the building; and
- Will not affect the compliance to the Building Code of Australia or the safety of the occupants, (ie if engineered designed fittings are required to ensure safety and structural stability of the mast or antenna, then a Building Permit would be required).
Mast, Antenna or simular (ie Pylon sign) where not attached to a building is not more than 3 meters in total height.
City of Belmont
Except as otherwise provided in the Scheme, for the purposes of the Scheme the following development does not require the planning approval of local government:
- microwave antennas that:
- have a diameter less than 500mm; and
- do not project higher than 3 metres above the ridgeline of the roof to which it is attached.
- Ref: http://www.belmont.wa.gov.au/Services/Planning/Documents/Local%20Planning%20Scheme%2015%20-%20Scheme%20Text%20-%20Gazetted%201%20December%202011.pdf
Shire of Kalamunda
Satellite and microwave dishes, aerials and antennae and flagpoles are exempt from a formal Building Permit Approval if:
- Free standing aerials, antennae and flagpoles are not to exceed 6.0 metres above the natural ground level and must be free of any guy wires;
- Aerials, antennae and flagpoles are not to exceed 2.0 metres above the attachment point on a building and must be free of any guy wires;
- Ref: http://www.kalamunda.wa.gov.au/files/94f0516d-c16d-4a6f-915a-a16300e5fc4b/10BLDInfoSheet10_-Minor-or-Incidental-Structures.pdf
City of Rockingham
Description of building work for which building permit is not required:
Construction, erection, assembly or placement of a mast, antenna or similar structure that
- (a) is not located in wind region C or D as defined in AS 1170.2; and
- (b) if attached to a building —
- (i) is no more than 2 m in height above the highest point of attachment to the building; and
- (ii) will not affect the way in which the building complies with each building standard that applies to the building; and
- © if not attached to a building, is no more than 3 m in height.
- Ref: http://www.rockingham.wa.gov.au/getmedia/aafb1006-736c-4a10-aed6-811e24c877a0/PD-Kinds-of-Building-Work-for-Which-a-Building-Permit-is-Not-Required.pdf.aspx